So you want to get started with Social Media?
OK – so if you’re new to Social Media you usually think something like this:
- You’ve heard about Social Media.
- You know what it is.
- You know it’s important.
- So you want to do it.
- Or, if you don’t want to do it, you know you need to.
That’s a general snapshot of what some of our customers think about social media.
What’s the importance of a social media strategy?
A social media strategy is a more informed, strategic way of doing things. Anyone can post on Facebook. Anyone can post on LinkedIn.
But can just anyone get the strategy right?
It’s important to make informed decisions and implement strategies based on a clear understanding of your business and your target market. Just ‘posting’ is not an effective way of doing things.
True Social Media engagement comes from knowing what to say, when to say it, saying it in an interesting way – to the right people in the right place.
Imagine the following scenarios:
- You know you want a shop
- You don’t care where the shop is located
- You don’t know what to sell
- You don’t know who you are selling to
- All you know is people will buy ‘stuff’
- So you just sell random ‘stuff’ in random manner
This is the equivalent of setting up a FaceBook page and just posting.
- You know you want a shop
- You know EXACTLY where you want the shop to be because you understand where your target market shops
- You know exactly what to sell because you know what your customers want
- You know exactly who you are selling to because you understand your target market
- You know what to sell because you know, precisely, what they are shopping for
- So you know what to sell and who to sell it to and can therefore sell with pin-point accuracy
This is where strategy dictates how you use Social Media and what platforms you engage your customers on.
Reaching the right audience
It’s all about understanding your business and your marketplace.
Are you an online fashion retailer, or an interior designer?
- Do – Focus Pinners on Pinterest.
- Don’t – Focus on LinkedIn
Are you a Lawyer?
- Do – Focus on LinkedIn
- Don’t – focus on Instagram
Do you HATE FaceBook?
- Yes – well your customers might be on it so you need to accept it and get on it!
- No – let’s find out if your customers are there
These are simple questions but surprisingly, we see too many people using Social Media in the wrong way or on the wrong platforms and missing their target market.
Social media can be an outstanding way to reach your audience and increase brand awareness, engagement, conversations, traffic and leads.
Social Media should be a significant component of your digital strategy, and LMS can help you maximise your social media presence.
Social media and search engine ranking
Did you know social media can also help with search engine ranking?
This is extremely important to understand! Google and other search engines measure your social media activity to help rank your website in the search engines.
In some cases you cannot expect social media to be the ‘silver bullet’ you hope will be – generating awesome awareness, leads and sales.
Some people may not get any sales from Facebook at all, but their Facebook activity is still affecting their ranking, by showing Google (and the other search engines) that you’re current, active, authoritative and engaged.
Can’t I do it myself?
Part of the success of social media for business is the fact that anyone can do it.
Ten years ago, not everyone could afford to advertise on TV, but the internet and social media platforms have helped democratise marketing and advertising.
Anyone with the time (or time and money) can create a profile for their brand, carve out a niche, and make serious gains for their business using online marketing.
So yep – you can do it yourself. Or, you can do it with the help of a partner who sets you on the right path. Many of our clients just get us to help with the strategy and platform setup, and then use our guidelines to keep them on the straight-and-narrow.
Our approach to social media
It all begins with our Workshop and Research and Analysis phases, where we learn about and understand:
- Your business
- Your marketplace
- Your goals
Then we create a social media strategy tailored to you. You get:
- Social media strategy
- Post suggestion
- Research guidelines
- Guidelines and policies
- Campaign management
- Monthly monitoring and reporting
A clear social media strategy determines what you want to say and when you want to say it, and gives you the tools and confidence to trust this is being done right.
Monthly monitoring shows the effectiveness of your presence, and new social media policies and changes are applied to your strategy.